Hypnotherapy and weight loss
Did you know that the average 45 year British woman has tried 61 diets and will spend over 30 years doing so?
Over 20% of women are on a permanent diet but the large majority lose no weight in the long term. Even men are increasingly succumbing to the pressures of looking slim and achieving a flat stomach, if not a six-pack!
Most of my weight loss clients at Natural Mind Hypnotherapy have tried a multitude of diets; the Dukan diet, the smoothie diet, the 5:2 fasting diet, the Paleo diet and the ‘Eat nothing at all for days on end diet (made that one up) but they all have one thing in common:
These ‘diets’ failed. And each time they fail, the result is that the dieter feels like a failure. Frustration sets in, along with a large dollop of self-hatred, guilt and well earned money…
I would say that roughly half of Natural Mind Hypnotherapy weight loss clients have been to both Weight Watchers and Slimming World. One group usually works better for that person than the other but at the end of the day, these people are NOT losing weight and keeping it off. They turn up at my clinic disheartened, frustrated and often desperate.
The diet industry is a multi-billion dollar industry which is designed to make overweight people feel inadequate and never quite ‘good enough’. Rather than lose weight in the long-term the only thing people lose permanently is their money.
When I ask my clients (some of whom are still going to weight loss groups) what benefits they receive,this is what I hear most:
- The weekly weigh-in helps to motivate them. Or stop them going that week at all if they haven’t lost any weight.
- They enjoy the camaraderie. And being able to be mix with people who share their penchant for occasionally being ‘naughty’ and overeating. More people to cheat on a diet with…
- It makes them feel like they are doing something about their weight problem and so eases any guilt they may have.
These are benefits of a sort but there is a MUCH better way to lose weight naturally, without sacrificing all that money and precious time.
What’s the answer?
It’s all about changing your unhealthy relationship to food and making some simple, lifestyle changes. No diets, no religious calorie counting, no labelling of certain foods as ‘sinful’.
And what about being able to eat bucketfuls of sugary snacks as long as you only had a piece of watercress for lunch? Advice like this, a lot of it coming from Weight Waters and Slimming World makes me quite irritated…
To lose weight long term you need to change your behaviour and relationship to food. Hypnotherapy is the one of the best ways to achieve this because it encourages people to deal with the subconscious patterns of behaviour which are the real cause of overeating.
I’ll give you an example. I saw one lovely lady who didn’t initially really know why she was eating too much. After some specific questions we finally got to the bottom of the problem. It seemed that she was secretly afraid of losing weight for fear of being more attractive to other men. She was scared of being tempted and being led astray.
I helped her realize that taking better care of her body, exercising and looking her best would improve her relationships with other people as she was now happier with herself. She learned to let go of the guilt that had been holding her back and this had the knock on effect of allowing her to enjoy and appreciate her husband a lot more.
I’ve seen other clients who are afraid of how a relationship at home or at work would change if they lost weight. For some people being overweight is something that they are now ‘used to’. They’re in their comfort zone (eating makes them feel comfortable) and we all know how tough it is to stop doing something which feels like a ‘friend’ to us because it has provided comfort over the years.
Consciously these people want to lose weight but still feel that something is ‘stopping’ them or holding them back. What’s stopping them is usually the subconscious or unconscious mind which tends to keep us doing the same things over and over, especially if those bad habits still provide the same benefit they provided many years ago.
Hypnotherapy for weight loss is an effective way to persuade your subconscious that you will be much happier, more confident and safer(that’s really important to your subconscious) by eating healthy foods and exercising more frequently. In hypnosis I can also help clients stop eating chocolate, cakes or biscuits IF they want to.
The effects don’t always last forever but many clients comment that they just ‘don’t feel’ like eating these unhealthy snacks, even when they’re handed them on a plate at a birthday or Xmas party.
So, what’s the catch I hear you ask….
I’ll be honest with you right now. Hypnotherapy can work absolute wonders for a great many people. But what many don’t realize is that success often requires a few things from themselves:
- An open mind. You don’t need to be 100% sure hypnotherapy will work- you can be sceptical if you want! But you do need to give it a chance.
- A strong desire that losing weight is something you really want for YOURSELF. Not just to keep others happy.
- Commitment. At my clinic I give clients things to do. They fill in food diaries, try out a technique learned in the session and even master self-hypnosis.
- Time– Hypnotherapy is a rapid form of therapy but I tell all my weight loss clients that changing their eating habits might take a few weeks at least!
- A reasonable investment- I’m not the most expensive Hypnotherapist locally but I’m a long way from being the cheapest. This is because I believe strongly that clients need to see hypnotherapy as a serious investment in their health and happiness. Some of us pay over £50 for a good haircut so doesn’t it make sense to spend at least that amount for an hour of a hypnotherapist’s time and expertise?
When these 5 things are in place, the path to weight-loss becomes smooth, quick and extremely rewarding:) For more information about how hypnotherapy can help you regain control of your eating habits just give me a call on 0798 444 1710 or email me at email@example.com.
Why not also take a look at the Natural Mind Facebook page for special offers, great news, inspiring stories and the occasional free gift…